- Research style: both Collaborative à la “PolyMath” Project & “Lone Wolf” à la Andrew Wiles (“The Fermat’s Last Theorem”), G. Perelman (“The Poincaré Conjecture”) or Zhang Yitang 张益唐 (“70-million Gap in Twin Primes”)
- Not attempting the Riemann Hypothese: tools not there yet.
- His Weakness in Math: Algebraic Topology (拓扑代数) [*]
[*] Algebraic Topology: apply algebra (linear) in Topology: eg. Homology (同调), Co-homology (上同调), Homotopy (同伦) or Homological algebra, etc. A powerful applied mathematics used in Big Data Analytics.
3 Phases of Math Training:
- Pre-rigourous: intuition à la Ramanujian
- Rigorous: formal proof
- Post-rigourous: 1 + 2 (intuitive bold “cheating” guess, followed by rigorous proof)
Morphism: 态射 (Mapping : 映射)
Functor (F): 函子
Russian Jewish mathematician Grigori Perelman proved the Poincaré Conjecture in 7 years of solitude research in his Russian apartment – same 7 years of solitude for Andrew Wiles (The Fermat’s Last Theorem) in the Cambridge attic house and Zhang Yitang 张益唐 (7-Million-Gap Twin Primes) in the “Subway” sandwich kitchen.
7 is the Perfect Number. 1 week has 7 days, according to the “Book of Genesis”, God created the universe in 6 days and rested “Sabbath” on the beautiful 7th day.
People involved in his journey: