陈省身香港科技大学 演讲经典 (Highly Recommended – spoken in English & Chinese)
他的女婿是香港科大校长。现任校长是 Prof 陈繁星 Tony F. Chan , the ‘Search Algorithm Thesis’ supervising Prof of the 2 Google founders in Stanford University (Applied Math Department)
- SS Chern won the “Wolf Prize” in the same year with the Hungarian “Vagabond” 流浪汉 Mathematician Erdos Paul.
- He was appointed the Scientific Advisor of President Reagan, during which Chern recommended to build the USA Center of Math in Berkeley University. After retirement, Chern built a similar center in China at his alma mater Nankai University 南开大学 where he graduated in 1930.
- SS Chern was an assistant lecturer of Prof Yang WuZhi 杨武之, who liked to invite Chern to his house for dinners, where he saw his 8-year old son Yang ZhenNing 杨振宁 (Nobel Prize Physics 1958).
- SS Chern has guided great PhD students eg. James Simons (Billionaire Financial Investor applying Math Modeling) , Prof ST Yau 丘成桐 (First Chinese to win the Fields Medal).
- Russian Perelman solved The “Poincare Conjecture” usung Ricci Flow.
- Chern won an overseas scholarship from QingHua Preparatory School (now 清华大学) which was built by americans with the money “refunded” from the “Boxer Indemnity” 庚子赔款 over-paid by the previous Manchurian dynasty to the 8 European invaders (USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia, include Japan).
- He went to Hamburg University in 1934 (Hiltler in power from 1933) for 2 years post-doc, during which he attended a seminar introducing the works of the French greatest Differential Geometry Mathematician Elie Cartan. It impressed Chern but all attendees left the lecture room except him.
- Chern then moved to Paris University to study under the 69-year-old Prof Elie Cartan, who kindly invited Chern to his house for discussions fortnightly during 10 months.
- [Video 57:20 mins] The great contributions of Elie Cartan: Lie Group Symmetry applied in Geometry (after Felix Klein, Sophus Lie “E8” ).
- “Simple Lie Group E8＂ is misleading not so “Simple” – Chern advised those curious minds to look into its potentials.
- Cartan’s 2nd contribution is Exterior Differential 外微分:
数学大师 陈省身访谈 http://www.bilibili.com/video/av18174730
陈省身 微积分22 http://www.bilibili.com/video/av1885439