Terence at 8 reading these 22 Math books: 《Matrices & Vectors》, 《Logic》, 《Calculus》…
Math Test : [T = Terence Tao at 7 Years old]
On Distribution Law :
Terence Tao showed that a good Math “Abstract Thinking” Mind can AVOID the need of using concrete examples.
That explains why MOST good students excel in High-school A-level Math but average in university Abstract Math.
Terence Tao’s partial proof is inspired by similar problem pattern in PDE (Partial Differential Equation) : –
Terence Tao 陶哲轩 :
- Research style: both Collaborative à la “PolyMath” Project & “Lone Wolf” à la Andrew Wiles (“The Fermat’s Last Theorem”), G. Perelman (“The Poincaré Conjecture”) or Zhang Yitang 张益唐 (“70-million Gap in Twin Primes”)
- Not attempting the Riemann Hypothese: tools not there yet.
- His Weakness in Math: Algebraic Topology (拓扑代数) [*]
[*] Algebraic Topology: apply algebra (linear) in Topology: eg. Homology (同调), Co-homology (上同调), Homotopy (同伦) or Homological algebra, etc. A powerful applied mathematics used in Big Data Analytics.
3 Phases of Math Training:
- Pre-rigourous: intuition à la Ramanujian
- Rigorous: formal proof
- Post-rigourous: 1 + 2 (intuitive bold “cheating” guess, followed by rigorous proof)
Terence Tao 陶哲轩 :
♢ Born in 1975 @ Adelaide. Parents from Hong Kong immigrants to Australia.
♢ IQ 230-240
♢ Full professor of UCLA at 24
♢ Fields Medalist (2006), the 2nd youngest winner in history (after French J.P. Serre at 27)
The TV interviewer pretending to be an “idiot”, a mentality of most Americans who pride themselves of being poor in Math !
Terence Tao (Fields Medalist)
“It is truism that one of the best ways to learn a subject is to teach; and it seems that blogging about a subject comes in as a close second. ” –
Source: Terence Tao’s Book “Structure and Randomness – pages from year one of a mathematical blog “